Saturday, November 8, 2008

Time to spare!

So on Friday I went to The Royal Winter Fair, it was smelly, but I didn't mind that much. It was really funny to hear all of my city friends hold their noses coughing about how it stunk so bad. They were all squealing about how gross the poo from the cows and pigs were. Some when complained about how it gave them a headache. Whenever they did that I would shake my head and say displeasingly "City kids..." lol

I spent all Friday drawing animals (Which was exhausting, pumping out thirty pages of sketch book wotk! phew!) then I had to go home using the public transit system. I was a little sad. It wasn't a thrill to use the public transit system anymore, it was more of a bother, I just wanted to get home!

Today I decided I was going to be lazy, and I was waiting to talk to Emily so I could fix my story, but then my word count dead line snuck up on me and I had to get writing. I talk to Andy and then Cara, then I got a pretty good Idea about what I wanted to do. I finally got something I liked, but I only had one and a-half hours till midnight to get my word count up to 13339, but I did it! With 15 mins to spare. (I think I'm at 13345)

Personally I don't like this chapter, but you deiced for me.
Anyways here's the next post!



Stage 7

There were harsh noises outside, with the rush out side Gix had to take a moment to register them. They sounded like someone’s voice.
“Over, here!” Zefer called to Gix was the fled from the burning hut. Gix kept his ears open as they approached a safe distance away from the disaster. Gix couldn’t quite place it.
“What it that noise?” Gix asked as they found themselves slowing down. Zefer tried to slow his breathing so that he could hear the sounds that the world was making at this mysterious moment. Gix looked around and look he saw what the group of red light heading towards him, everything else was a dull black. Gix did a double take. Wait, a group of red light?
“It’s a mob…” Zefer said slowly as their chant came into pitch.
“Kill the demon; stain the carpet with his blood.
Kill the demon; drag his carcass through the mud.” It was bone chilling. Gix watched as another round of arrows lit a fire sank into their hut, strengthening the fire. The mob was in full view now. Their faces where dressed with the red from the torches they carried, like war paint.
“They’re after me…” Zefer’s voice dropped. His body tensed like there was a deep grinding feeling in his stomach. Gix pushed him slightly.
“Let’s get out of here!” Gix had become very worried about Zefer’s well being. He looked at Gix like that was an option he hadn’t considered till now.
“Yeah…” Zefer trailed off as the set a trail off the path of the mob. Only being able to take a couple steps Gix was startled when he heard somebody call loudly
“There’s the demon and his cohort.” Gix and Zefer spun around to identify that somebody had seen them, the mob wasn’t that far off yet in the complete darkness somebody had seen them. There was a victorious cheer that flooded through the crowd. The hunters had found their pray.
“Gix move!” Zefer was already running through the rough country side, Gix followed with the mob only seconds behind them. Gix just couldn’t add it up in his head, how did they get so close? Looking back Gix needed to eye their chasers; he saw some faces flicker and a shine of metal. Gix could only assume. His insides squished into a tiny ball and lodged its self into Gix’s neck. Out numbered, this is what fear was. There were some trees starting to brush past Gix. He started to worry that they’d have to be trying to blindly find there way around branches and vines. Their pursuers would be able to light their path and cut through the branches clearing their path. It surely wasn’t safe here at all. Gix’s mind began channeling ideas. Nothing seemed to solve the problem easily. There was a flash of steel ahead. Gix looked to see Zefer already fighting to move branches out of the way. It appeared that the object that Zefer grabbed was his sword. Gix had caught up to zefer who was fighting to remove a particularly hard branch from the path. Gix grabbed the cloth and Zefer’s back as he turned around to see the impending horde. There wasn’t minutes left before they would be upon them. Gix felt a prickle on his face he felt the branches on either side of him. They were pokey and Gix dropped to the ground, pulling Zefer down with him, they scuttled under the cover of the tree. Continueing their hurried crawl, voices over head started screeching, ‘where’d they go?’ ‘Over here!’ ‘Let’s search this area!’ Gix was thankful he had broken the powerful flow of the onslaught but that didn’t mean they were in the clear yet. Gix moved his hands and feet by dragging them along the ground. This method wasn’t as quick as he would have hopped but it didn’t snap any branches to give away his position. Gix was pleased to hear the footsteps of the predators fade, and soon their shouts too. The tree cover ended and Zefer and Gix got up to run again.
Gix stopped first. He was slouching with the support of his thigh as he heaved air into his lungs. Zefer slowed down too, he was still walking in circles, panting just as heavily. The moon was starting to noticeably shine now, about a half way full. Zefer pushed his sword into its scabbard as he paced about the dirt ground. Now that they were out of ear shot Gix had a change to look back into the darkness.
“Our hut…” was all he could manage out.
“We don’t really have time to stop now, let’s be on our way till we find a place truly safe.” Zefer said in-between breaths. “Catch your breath and let us be going again.” Zefer didn’t mention that he needed to catch his breath too. Gix looked up at the sky as he let the air channel through him. Breathing in the cold air felt good. Gix was able to close his mouth and then he turned to Zefer.
“Alright, I’m ready.”
“We won’t run so hard this time; we’ll keep it at a light jog.” Zefer advised as they started to move again. They sprinted along with some of the world in view. Gix had never been this far away from the hut before. As far back as he can remember, besides being saved, was living at the hut. He had thought going into the city was a big stretch for him. The moon illuminated the tips of the rocks and Gix noticed the Grass at his feet didn’t feel quite as thick. The rocks started to turn into boulders and Gix could see the beginning of a mountain’s ridge coming into view. Is this a dead end? He thought to himself. The ridge flew up higher and higher above them.
“Zefer I think this is a dead end.”
“No, it can’t be I passed through here when I left the hut, ten years ago.” Zefer said. They both spoke winded as they talked in short whispery syllables. “There is a pass that separates these two mountains. We can take that.”
“You’re certain that it has no caved in or anything.”
“I am”
Gix was having a fairly easy time keeping up with Zefer, stride for stride. He concluded that it was Zefer’s sword that was somewhat sowing him down. Their vision was still blurry as they ran but the boulders were becoming more abundant. It had looked like a mountain’s demise. The ridge was towering above them now. Gix started following behind Zefer so that he could arch his neck backwards to look up, as not to run into anything of course. The ridge was sharp and jagged, like a thousand knives sticking out from the ground. A chill shot down Gix’s back.
“Look there is it” Zefer pointed ahead of them. Gix peered around him. There seemed to be a shining light in the distance, but just as Zefer said the ridge split in two and there was a gasp wide enough for five people to fix in comfortably side by side. “Seems like they lit it since I left.” Gix didn’t think about that till now, why would they bother to light a gasp in the ridge? It didn’t really make sense to him. Be he kept that to himself.
They were getting close to it now, the sides of the ridge where becoming distinguishable from the bottom. Gix had a slight sparkle of hope shine through him for a second.
WOOF!
That sparkle turned into a jerk of fear as a dog barked behind them.
“What was that?”
“Hunting dogs, damn.” Zefer grunted. Gix could hear claws digging into the rock and dirt as that ran. More dogs started barking at them. The fear bolted through them causing them to speed up.
“It sounds like there is more then one of them!”
“No shit, eh?” Zefer snapped clearly annoyed. Gix didn’t like being sworn at but thought that now wasn’t the time to bring it up. They burst through the light in the gasp and it’s producer was revealed, an oil lamp. Gix turned back to count three big dogs with sharp noses and flabby faces. Their muscles spelled doom for Gix and Zefer. Zefer stopped running a Gix ran into his back, almost toppling him over. Gix peered over Zefer’s shoulder. Right beside the lamp there was a scruffy man. He had a hat with a wide brim and had boots that went up to his knees. But the most noticeable thing about him was the fact that he had a gun pointed right at them.
“I knew you’d take the rocky wall pass.” He man had a low voice that went higher as he ended his drawn out words. “Ya see, I’ve been waiting for you here ever since this mornin.” That man’s face didn’t show much emotion. Zefer stayed deadly still. Gix tiptoed out from behind him.
“I see ya brought a little friend with ya, Well ain’t that peachy. So I assume that the villagers were able to flush you clean out of that rotten old hut of yours.” Gix’s eyebrows furrowed. He didn’t like the idea of anybody saying rotten things about his home. It was like he just spat on a grave. The dogs where about a meter away from their backs, growling. “I hope my lill’ pals didn’t give you a fright, But you gotta understand… you killed their master.”
“Wha-?” Gix couldn’t help letting out that noise.
“Oh so you haven’t eard ave ya?” The man smiled a greasy looking smile. “Back in Browket, there was a man. His name was Thomas. You stabbed him through the hard.” The man took two steps forward. His eyes were quivering. Gix feared that in this stated he’s fire the thing at any moment. The Gun was pointing right at Zefer’s head. It was then that Gix noticed that the barrel of this gun was a lot longer then his. It took the man both hands to hold it up. It seems all three of then men in the gap were starting to sweat.
“My name is Harold, and it’s my pleasure to avenge all those who you killed, demon. Gix saw it and reached behind him. Harold was pointed at Zefer’s forehead a few meters away, and fired.

4 comments:

freethephoenix said...

I will be in a coma until you write the next part, just so you know.

Travis T said...

Angry mob? YAY!

Ended this one on quite the cliffhanger, didn't you?

Kuroari said...

You got to go to the royal?! Lucky jerk! My school was ALMOST closed on friday because most of the students left to go to the royal (some because they were showing). Only about 1/4 or less of the student population was present on friday. Every class in the Agriculture program got cancelled, and I think about half of the BBRM classes got cancelled, too. Maybe some environmental classes. I'm not sure.

BUT I'm JEALOUS DX I wanted to gooo. And now that i know you went there I wanted to go even moar now D:

Emmy Arts said...

It's a good thing Im catching up on this late, otherwise that cliffhanger would've killed me! Nice writing, I'm onto the next stage... you can't kill your characters this early!