Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Feel of a Fighting Game

My thoughts recently have drifted towards a particular video game which I have told you all about countless times I'm sure.

It's the game I've been dreaming up where there is a bunch of people fighting for the light of a shinning star in order to complete their individual goals.
So by thinking about this I started analyzing fighting games a little bit. My room mates actually love games like mortal combat and those one on one fighters, but they weren't to interested in Brawl.

So I was thinking that maybe SSB Brawl is a little to free and simple. I mean each characters have three jumps and they only attack by combining positions of the joy stick and two buttons. Not to hard to figure out.

On the other hand all of the other fighting games have way to hard of fighting styles where you have to do some serious research to be any good at all at them. Like they start of with four buttons to push. One attack via kick, the other punch, another blocks, and the last one does some sort of magic deal right? Seems simpler then Brawl on the surface, but if you look further you'll see all the crazy cool combos that you could never hope to master this month. But the computer can push them off and will to kick the crap out of you. Oh and to make it even better the twelve button combos are different for every character.
That and those games are always so, soooo, sooo... blocky. I mean it's like fighting with cider blocks for hand and feet.

One other thing I've noticed with fighting games is that the story is bloody confusing. Such as Soul Caliber. What the heck is happening there? No body knows! Dissidia is the same way, characters will be talking about each other in one cut scene but in the next story arc they never heard of them and actually never meet them! BOO! The time lines look more like a tree.

So I think I would like to establish a game that has a little bit more complex moves but nothing more then a three to two button combo and a little more controlled in terms of movement. But still have it easy to pick up and a more natural fluid feel. Plus in this game the story and the game play go side by side. Instead of an after thought which most of these game's story lines are.
Now to get really good at concept art... :)

In other news my throat is all sore, I'm pretty such Steph gave me her cold! *cough cough*
Plus I gave my kitties flea baths and flea collars. Jack has a white one with a sliver reflective strip one it. And Shadow's is a bright purple. I think both of them suit the kitties smashingly.

Bed now, I have class at 2:30 pm tomorrow... awesome.

5 comments:

The Commodore said...

Sounds like a cool idea. =o

I'd take the $20 train ride to try it out someday. =P

freethephoenix said...

Wow that sounds like a really cool game that I would never play. :D lol Well someone has to come up with these ideas, right?

Rose said...

Travis, I do not want to hear about your video game ideas that you have already explained to me. I want to see more pictures of your characters and dominatrices. :P

Also, I have noticed a lot less stories of stupid people in your blog this semester. What's with that?

Kuroari said...

I understand and can follow Soul Calibur? D;

I mean, what's not to get? Soul Edge's an evil sword that possesses people and feeds on souls, and it usually tools around looking for a new master. Soul Calibur is a good sword that can destroy Soul Calibur.

Some characters are after Soul Edge because they want power (Tira, Ivy, etc.). Others, who know the evils of it, are after Soul Calibur, so they can destroy Soul Edge and return peace to the world (Sophitia, Kilik, etc.). Some aren't interested, but are there to progress the plot of other characters (Seung Mina, Cassandra, etc.). And some yet want the sword for some purpose; say, to save someone, for revenge, or to change themselves back from a smashin' hawt lizard-people form (lol Aeon Calcos).

It's actually pretty basic. It helps if you watch all the character cut-scenes, and maybe flip through the bios a little. It's really not that mindfuck of a plot. ;D

Travis said...

I was hope'in that Shane would comment here. But he didn't.