Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fourteen Days Later

Hey there happy blog followers. Seems I have not been updating very often as of late. Oops. It's almost the end of my first school year in Toronto and I thought it would be appropriate if I did one last blog before I temporarily gave up my blogging for this term. I will resume again in August when I am back up here in Toronto wishing I was home.

I've been pretty busy doing homework, but also trying to utilize the last of my high speed internet I can before I have to say good bye to it and go back to dial up at home.

Some one the things I've been doing is playing Little Big Planet, Watching Shugo Chara!, trying to figure out how to program RPG maker VX with Ruby, Downloaded Mario RPG and general facebooking.

before I go into more detail about what I've been up to recently I realize I haven't finished informing you about me and Emily's last day in Montreal on Valentines weekend. Which is a pretty big cliffhanger if you ask me. I think I've forgotten more of it but I'll try to retell what I can.

Abandon Ship

The last day in Montreal, Sunday was the day me and Emily promised each other that we'd wake up early. As far as I can remember... we didn't we still slept in more then either of us would of liked to. Oh well energy is energy. There were some museums in the area that we were thinking of visiting, but we got up early enough that none of them was open yet. We found a Titanic Exhibit and Emily seemed excited to see it. So we went in and decided to see what we could. We each got a passenger card. Which had the name of a person aboard titanic. I was a rich 2nd class passenger; Mr. Percey. Emily was an ill mother of two young children and boy and a girl. She also had a husband. She was a third class passenger.

There was an excellent lighting job and matching music to each objects and information displayed. I decided that I would read everything so it took us a while to walk through it all.

We finally got to the end and each of us got unhappy endings. My guy died and Emily's lady had survived with her husband, but she found that both of her children had died.

That sorta put a damper on the morning. For some reason we stayed int he mall for a while and it took me and ridiculous about of time to choose a restaurant to eat at in the food court. After that our room mates Nicole and Nick joined us and Nicole and Emily went shopping. I think Emily bought a dress she plans to wear when the weather is warmer. I wanted to find a hat or and belt or something like that but I couldn't find anything like that. But suddenly I was stuck by the most un-comfortable 'I gotta go potty' feeling I've ever had in my life. So we went back to the mall and found a wash room.

And for some reason we stayed there for long time and Emily was getting irritated. So we left and decided to head back to the hotel. Only our lunch in food court hadn't been very filling and it had been likes five of six hours since we ate last, so we spotted a Tim Horton and decided to have lunch there. Which was a terrible idea. Emily got a Egg salad sandwich and I got a bagel with cream cheese. Only since neither or us speak French as a second language, our order got extremely messed up.
Emily got her sandwich right but they had forgotten to charge us for our drinks and they got the type of cream cheese I wanted wrong. So since there line behind us was moving we waited to order drinks and decided to eat what we had been given.

I remember just as I was commented on how good Emily's sandwich looked and was thinking of ordering one myself Emily notices that she's bleeding and pulls a screw from the sandwich...
Both of us upset got and talk to the people. Their manager isn't in so the lady 'fake' calls them and says the only thing that they can do is give us a new sandwich... To what find another screw in? No thank you.

Now that the end of the trip had been wonderfully spoiled, I bought some cookies and chips and we hid in our hotel room and watched tv. Nicole and Nick came back and we all properly discussed they days events while getting drunk.

The next day before we left we all went and enjoyed creapes and I bought my Cloud action figure. Then a very long bus ride later we all wound up in Toronto. Ending our trip entirely.

---

So I've also been doing homework and if you recall. You all voted that I do my sculpture on Alex. So I did and now I've got pictures to share.







Tah Dah!
Alexi! Isn't his eye's scary? I had to think up a visual reason for those sun glasses. So I made his eyes scarier beyond compare! Yippee.
When I brought this in to show everyone the teacher loved the cape. :D that made me smile. I spent more then 12 hours straight working on this guy so it had better look good! I made the clothes myself too. Well of course I didn't sow it. I hot glued it. Which is to extremely uncomfortable to wear I'm sure. But I did it in a way where I hid the seams and there isn't hot glue on the clothes in sight! *pats own back*

So he took a fair bit of work. I build wire frame on him, then I wrapped him up in tin foil to bulk it out, then I built a basic version of him, then cooked that and chopped off his limbs then I detailed each limb, hair, face, and body. Then after that I painted it all up then after that I glued his clothes on and glued his limbs back together in one fowl swoop. Then I built him some tiny sunglasses and his cape! Hurrah!

That stand he's standing on is a bounce dryer sheet box filled with rice and black construction paper all over it.

Oh other story of mine. I decided when I got back up here from my Easter weekend at home I cook myself some stir-fry. I know, I know I don't know what told me to do it. Usually I'm pretty good at sticking to my pre-made meals and don't venture into the art of cooking, but I guess I needed to remind myself that I can't cook.

This time it was chicken stir-fry with chicken, rice and various vegetables mixed it. I stared off de-thawing the chicken by letting it sit out on the counter. After an hour of it sitting there I was disappointed to find that it was indeed still a brick of frozen chicken. Quickly wanting a meal I then by-passed the thawing stage and moved straight to the cooking stage. I began to fry my frozen chicken breasts in a frying pan before mixing other things in. This reminded me that I should cook the rice and cook the frozen veggies as well. So I threw it all into a pot and set it to boil. The chicken was being very stubborn and was not thawing for me in my heated frying pan. SO to speed up the process, as soon as a bit became soft enough to cut through, I did, and proceded to make chicken chunks.

This took a very long time to do. But I eventually got my frying pan full of chicken chunks. Then I remember when Emily made a stir-fry for us (of which this dish was inspired from) she put sauce in which the meat to let it soak up flavor. Feeling that my chick bout wasn't over yet I proceeded in doing so. This took a great deal longer then I thought. By the time the puddle of sauce was now into my chicken chunks and smelling wonderfully I remembered the rice. It and the veggies where still in the water boiling away. So I grabbed a strainer and dumped the load in...

...

No water was strained out. Not a drop. It had a been absorbed by some very fat soggy rice. Thinking I could fix this problem by boiling the water out of the rice I threw the concoction in with my chicken chucks and put the temperature as high as it could go. After a bit it began smelling... not appetizing at all, so I then grabbed some more sauce and doused the mix in. After one and a half hours of stirring this mess in a frying pan the dish was not fixed, the rice did not calm down and now my delicious chicken chunks where hopelessly lost in the pile of goo. Which had turned gray for a reason i do not know.

Moaning the loss of my chicken chunks and my entire meal, I sucked it up and sat down to my very gross meal. As I was scooping a plate full I realized that I probably had enough of this stuff to last me all week.
And now I am out of barbecue sauce, the only way to smother this dish with to make it editable.

So let me reiterate this last part for you. I cannot cook.

Thea has moved out now, she left on Saturday morning. I was sleeping in. It's what I'm good at. And all week end I've had this tugging feeling to make something. But every time I try to create an RPG or scribble down some pictures or try writing something I cannot do very much of it. I have to stop. I've been feeling this agitated way all weekend and have not been able to shake it for five days.

I am excited to go home.

Something else has been on my mind


And a tiny poem I made up.

"You do know that I would…
It means everything.
Proud of the open air, somehow now feels stifled.
Words stay in the throat and distance creeps between the hands.
Swallowing down darkness, wishes ride on a vow.
Speech always came so easily, why not now?

Why am I so scared?"

-Out

3 comments:

freethephoenix said...

Ahhh! Trav I laughed so hard I cried! Your stir-fry adventure was hilarious!! And I thought I couldn't cook! Why didn't you go on my bento site and get the step-by-step from me?

Next time you want meat for dinner put it out first thing in the morning. Leave it in the sink and it will be thawed by the time you are home. Rick also sometimes puts it out the night before since we tend to have dinner earlyish.

Um. Also. Alex is wet-my-pants cool! Holy Moly! I was actually secretly thinking it wasn't going to turn out very well when I saw the initial stages... but wow! Nice work!! :O Aren't you glad your teacher told you to make a fabric cape?

Rose said...

Finally! More adventures with Travis. It makes me sad that you will not be blogging at all in the summer. Perhaps you should come visit me and that guy I live with fairly frequently.

Travis T said...

Alex's expression seems to be different in every pic. It's a little freaky. Also I really liked the hair for some reason.

Also nice work on the poem. It's nothing too complex but I think the simple innocence of it fits you.